Friday, August 14, 2009

´Allo ... Nokia?

Brace yourself. Lots of content in this one.

I got a cell phone recently. Its actually Oscars old cell phone but the host parents bought a new case and a SIM card for it. All the phones here have removable outer shells that you can buy new shells for. The previous shell was showing wear and had white and black case pieces. The new one is white and red and looks very nice. I got most of the way done re-assembling the case when the power went out. I was able to finish it in the dark. It also plays music, an added bonus.

On Wednesday I started Spanish lessons at another colegio in Ciudad Del Este. The classes are in nothing but Spanish and speaking anything but Spanish in the classroom is strictly prohibited. Apparently there was a bit of miscommunication between Asuncion and Ciudad Del Este because a lot of the name tags were messed up. When I got mine it read ¨Philip Voltons¨ whoops. Anyway I have classes Monday-Friday after school and Saturday in the morning. Tomorrow morning the class is taking a field trip to a museum. Afterwords a group of us AFS-ers are going to go downtown Ciudad Del Este, grab some pizza, and explore the main shopping district which is known to the locals as ¨Center¨. I will be sure to take my camera (and hang on tight to it) to get some pictures of the amazing spectacle Center is. Words can not describe the sheer chaos of the place. There are people everywhere, cars everywhere, and good deals everywhere.

Tonight we had a family gathering at my cousin Ramon´s house. Of those I met it appears I have 7 cousins. We had a good time. A few 2 litres of Coke, some good food, and a TV is enough for us to have a good time. I got to meet my grandfather on my host moms side of the family. When we were first introduced he asked ¨Where is he from? Germany?¨ I guess the Wolter and Weinert roots definately show. Since I got here I have been told that I look like a Brazilian and mistakenly called a German by 2 people. Good to know I don´t look like your stereotypical American.

That´s about all for now. Hopefully I´ll get some awesome pictures tomorrow to add to the slideshow. Having a blast here.

1 comment:

  1. FINALLY found your blog. Just took freakin' forever.
    :P
    Right, I imagine you'll tell me everything as the blog progresses, so I just need to tell you to be safe.

    Still can't believe they sent you to Paraguay of all places.

    ReplyDelete